Who can apply for a summit?
Each summit might have slightly different application criteria so make sure to check the respective application form. But as a general rule, we are looking for changemakers, social entrepreneurs, and social innovators, aged between 18 and 30, who run social ventures in the eligible countries.
What are the selection criteria?
Below is a list of the selection criteria. We also do our best to achieve 50-50 gender balance; geographic and cultural diversity; diversity in terms of social venture, approach, age, skills-base…
- Country: Participants must come from or be currently living in one of the eligible countries for that particular summit.
- Age: Participants must be aged 18-30. Due to permission reasons, we focus on over 18s. In certain regions, youth is defined as 18-35-year-olds so the age limit may vary.
- Leading roles: Participants should lead or have founded a social venture which is up and running and addresses a social problem. Certain summits are open to “intrapreneurs” too.
- English first: English is the preferred language, so participants must have a good level. Certain summits are bilingual so in these cases basic English is required.
- Stage: The organisation should be beyond idea stage and currently active.
- Impact: The organisation should solve a social/environmental issue and have some impact.
- Innovation: The organisation should show some elements of innovation for the specific context.
- Values: The applicant should demonstrate an alignment with the CXC values
- Character: The applicant should show an entrepreneurial and creative mindset.
- Motivation: The applicant should show motivation to co-create and collaborate.
Do I need to be the original founder or co-founder?
No, we also welcome applications from co-founders, managing directors, CEOs, etc. who might have joined at a later stage. However, it is important that you are in a clearly defined leadership position. We unfortunately cannot accept applications from other employees or volunteers.
Is there an interview as part of the selection process?
Given the high number of applications we receive and the limited staff capacity, only candidates who are being considered for the final shortlist will be invited to a short informal interview to ensure their suitability in the programme and their fit with the community.
I did not receive a confirmation email after applying – how do I know if my application went through?
You will not receive a confirmation email after applying, but a thank-you message will pop up when you have submitted your application successfully.
When will I hear back if I was selected?
You may expect an answer within the first week of May 2020, unless otherwise communicated on the individual summit’s application form.
Can I receive feedback on my application?
Unfortunately, we cannot provide individual feedback on each application. But we do send a thorough email to all applicants outlining the full application and selection process, which has always been appreciated by applicants in the past.
Can my co-founder join instead of me?
ChangemakerXchange invests first and foremost in the person, aka you. In the event that you cannot attend the summit anymore, we unfortunately cannot accept your co-founder as there are other candidates who went through the whole application process and have been waitlisted.
Why is there an application fee?
The US$15 / €13 non-refundable application fee enables us to thoroughly review every single application we receive and further grow the community. Also, by asking for a modest application fee, we aim to ensure that those applying are truly committed to attending the summit and participating in the global community. This contribution is highly encouraged for all applicants. However, if you have exceptional circumstances that prevent you from contributing, you can indicate so in the application form.
Can I travel to a different return destination (i.e. multi-city trip)?
This option may be requested only in exceptional circumstances. If the multi-city trip does not exceed the budget of a regular return flight to and from your hometown, yes, your local hosts may purchase a multi-city trip for you. If it exceeds the budget, you will be asked to cover the difference in price and your local host will reach out to agree on the exact process for this.
Can I arrive earlier / stay later?
Yes, you are more than welcome to arrive earlier and/or stay later to make the most of the cultural immersion. However, please note that any costs associated to a longer stay (e.g. lodging, food, transportation, etc.) are not covered by ChangemakerXchange and it is your responsibility to arrange them.
Can I come by train / bus?
Yes, absolutely! We highly encourage you to seek alternative travelling routes that do not include flying (or minimise it). Here are a few guiding principles to help you assess the best travel option for you:
- Is the route safe? If not, please avoid having travelling by road as your safety is important to us!
- How long does it take? If it is up to 9-hours during the day or 12-hours with a night journey, it’s doable! If you’re okay travelling for longer, that’s fine by us!
- How much does it cost? Make sure to check with your host on the budget available for your transportation as sometimes, road-alternatives are much more expensive than air travel.
If you decide to travel by road, we will ask you to book your transportation independently, as you might have access to discounted rates. Your host will communicate with you the budget available for the trip. Once you book your transportation, you should forward your itinerary and receipt to your local host so they can reimburse you.
Can I travel with my spouse / partner / child?
We generally advise against this because the summit is an intense experience that requires your full presence and contribution. However, exceptional circumstances may be considered; you should reach out to your host to discuss this. Please note that CXC will not cover the costs associated with the travel, lodging, and catering of the extra guests.
What is the luggage allowance?
The luggage allowance really depends on the airline, but we always try to make sure you have checked luggage in your fare. This is unless you’re coming from a neighbouring country or travelling with low-cost airlines and are okay with hand-luggage only.
Can I join only part of the summit (e.g. arrive later or leave earlier)?
Unfortunately, no. The ChangemakerXchange summit is an intense and enriching experience that makes sense if undertaken from start to end. This means we can only accept applicants who can commit to the full duration of the summit.
What happens if I miss my flight?
If you miss your flight connection because of a problem with the first flight, the airline should rebook you on the next first available flight. If this requires an overnight stay, the airline should also provide you with accommodation options and food.
However, if you miss your flight (be it a connecting flight or not) for your own doing (e.g. alarm didn’t ring and you woke up late, you are stuck in traffic and arrive late, etc.), it will be your responsibility to book (and cover the cost of) another ticket. Importantly, if you miss your flight to the country of the summit, it is imperative you reach out to the airline to prevent them from cancelling your return ticket too (usually that’s what happens).
What costs does ChangemakerXchange cover?
ChangemakerXchange will cover the majority of costs associated with the summit such as: international flights to/from the hosting country, 4-night accommodation during the summit, all meals during the summit, workshop venue hire, local transportation, workshop material, hosts and facilitation compensation, programme manager compensation, and offsetting for the carbon emissions derived from the local hosting. We also cover the costs of community engagement post-summit. Please note that the total is an average €4,500 per participant.
What costs am I supposed to cover?
We ask you to cover the following (unless otherwise specified by the local hosts): costs associated with the visa application, transfer to/from airport in your home country, transfer from the airport to the meeting point in the hosting country, confirmation fee (see next section).
What is the confirmation fee?
The confirmation fee is a modest non-refundable contribution to confirm your spot in the summit which will be used to cover a proportion of the local logistics. Upon acceptance, you will be asked to fill out a confirmation form where you can also pay the confirmation fee. There are three levels:
- €150 – Regular confirmation fee + 50% stipend for another participant or 25% stipends for other 2 participants.
- €125 – Regular confirmation fee + 25% stipend for another participant.
- €100 – Regular confirmation fee.
Since some participants might not be able to afford the regular confirmation fee, we ask that if you have the financial means to pay a bit more, to do so to subsidise a partial stipend for another participant.
Can I apply for a stipend?
We have a limited number of stipends for people who do not have the means to cover this. We ask you to please play fair and only request this if they need it, so it doesn’t compromise the chances of others who really need it. There are two levels:
- €75 reduced confirmation fee – 25% stipend
- €50 reduced confirmation fee – 50% stipend
What happens if I withdraw from the programme?
We of course hope that this won’t be the case; but if you withdraw from the programme, you will lose money of the confirmation fee as it is non-refundable.
What happens after the summit?
Attending a ChangemakerXchange summit is the first step to join a global community of 800+ changemakers. Once you are part of the community, there are several engagement opportunities you might benefit from, such as:
- Becoming a community host and bring the CXC summit experience to your country;
- Joining the Global Facilitation Pool to facilitate CXC-like experiences to other youths around the world;
- Expanding your network and deepening your knowledge and expertise thanks to our seasonal alumni gatherings and online huddles;
- Amplifying your impact through new collaboration projects with fellow changemakers;
- Attending the Global Co-Creation Summit to shape the future of the community.
The beauty of ChangemakerXchange is that it is a very dynamic community, always looking to improve its offer to changemakers.
What is the value of joining ChangemakerXchange?
We believe the words of our community do a better job at highlighting the value of joining ChangemakerXchange:
“I wanted to change the world for the better since I was 14. But everyone around me would tell me ‘be normal, go to college, get a job, don’t try to do more than you can’. After CXC, I realised that I don’t want to have a ‘normal’ life. I want an extraordinary life. I want to fully realise my mission to paint the world in bright colours of peace, unity, and love. And ChangemakerXchange catalysed the process of realising my mission. Thank you!”
“CXC is an incredible platform to change the mindset and perspective on many things (to the best of course). I can definitely say that I’ve been transformed, and I now have a much better understanding about what it takes to be a social entrepreneur, scaling impact and opening yourself to others.”
“CXC gave me a feeling of belonging. I have been part of many conferences and different communities, but CXC still feels like home because of the genuine values, the genuine goals and long-lasting friendships.”